Saturday, July 2, 2011

Roots.

root1

–noun

1) a part of the body of the plant that develops, typically, from the radicle and grows downward into the soil, anchoring the plant and absorbing nutriment and moisture.

2) the fundamental or essential part.

3) the source or origin of a thing.

–verb (used without object)

1) to become fixed or established.

–verb (used with object)

1) to implant or establish deeply.

I looked up the definition for root just for kicks and giggles to see what the dictionary had to say. And to my surprise it was quite interesting. The first definition I expected. It was scientific and talked about plants. Okay. The second definition got me thinking. The fundamental and essential part. Root? Essential? I decided to ask myself what is the root in my life. Next. The source or origin of a thing. What is the source to my actions? The "fruits" in my life? Then we are moved along to the verbs. To become fixed or established (without an object).  To implant or establish deeply (with an object). How can I be fixed? How can I be established? And now I ask myself, How do I become... rooted?

Getting to the roots of my life.
Hmm. Well of course I can say to myself honest and truthfully that God is my everything and I know without a shadow of a doubt he will always be there. But as a human being, I am not always "connected" with God as I should be. He needs to be my "root" of my life. The roots in my life at the moment are technology, relationships with my friends, etc. If you catch my drift, I am thinking there needs to be a change NOW.

Fruits. Huh?

Now by fruits, I don't literally mean the tasty food we all know and love. I am talking about the actions in our life.
'But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!' Galations 5:22-23.

If you don't get anything out of what I am saying, Take this. If we are not connected to God, we will not produce good "fruit" in our lives.
'Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can't bear grapes by itself but only by being joined to the vine, you can't bear fruit unless you are joined with me. I am the vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Seperated, you can't produce a thing.' John 15:4-5

After coming across these verses, it really came to life to me that I need to stay connected to God. If not, I won't be any good. There would be no fruit.

Becoming fixed, established, and ROOTED.  

'Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.' Romans 12:2.

First, PRAY. Ask for forgiveness about the sin in your life. Accept that Jesus died on the cross so that you may live free from your sin.
Second, STAY connected to God. Easy as 1-2-3. Make it important. Read the bible and keep on praying.
Like go. Now. Get connected. Be fixed. Hear what God has to say. And be STILL.

ROOTS. We all come from some place. We all have a connection somewhere. It's where that connection is made that is important in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment